- 225g plain chocolate such as Bournville, broken into small pieces
- a knob of butter
- 1 tbsp brandy, optional
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 150ml double cream, lightly whipped
- Measure the chocolate into a bowl and sit it over a pan of simmering water. Melt slowly and do not allow the chocolate to become too hot.
- Stir in the butter, brandy and egg yolks one at a time and mix until combined. Set aside to cool a little.
- Whip the egg whites until just stiff. Fold into the chocolate mixture with the whipped cream. Fold to combine.
- Spoon into a glass bowl (1-litre capacity) or 6 stemmed glasses or ramekins. Transfer to the fridge to set.
- Dust with icing sugar.
PREPARING AHEAD – The mousse can be made up to a day ahead. Freezes well
for up to a month.