- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 rustic white buns
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 1 slicing tomato
- 1 little gem lettuce
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 sprigs lemon thyme, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Start the barbecue, if using, or preheat the oven grill to high. Coat the chicken breasts in the Italian seasoning and 2 tbsp olive oil. Season and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the lemon thyme, garlic and mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Cut the buns open. Stir the chilli powder into the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and use to brush the inside of the buns.
- Barbecue the chicken over hot coals covered in a light layer of ash, or grill them on a baking sheet, for 8–10 minutes on each side, until cooked thoroughly, the juices run clear and there is no pink meat. Meanwhile, grill or barbecue the cut sides of the buns, until just charred.
- Spread the bun bases with the flavoured mayonnaise, then add a layer of sliced tomato, lettuce and the chicken and the bun tops.