- 1 x 400g can pears in natural juice
- 1 packet trifle sponges containing 8 sponges
- strawberry jam
- 75ml medium dry sherry
- about 10 ratafia biscuits, or broken almond biscuits such as macaroons
- 600ml bought good-quality fresh vanilla custard
- 300ml double cream
- 25g flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- Drain the pears, reserving the juice, then cut the fruit into small pieces. Split the trifle sponges in half and sandwich together with the strawberry jam. Measure the sherry into a jug and make up to 150ml with the reserved pear juice. If you don’t wish to have sherry in your trifle then use all of the pear juice – about 150ml.
- Put half the chopped pears into the base of a glass serving dish of about 20cm in diameter and 6cm deep. Arrange half the trifle sponges on top, then add the remaining pears and finally the remaining sponges. Scatter the ratafias on top and pour the sherry and pear juice mixture over evenly.
- Carefully pour the custard over the top. Lightly whip the cream until it just holds its shape and spoon carefully over the custard. Smooth or fluff the surface. Serve chilled. Sprinkle with the toasted flaked almonds just before serving.