- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/4″ thick
- sea salt, such as Maldon
- 12 oz. bacon
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 8 slices Pullman bread, cut 1/2″ thick
- 1/2 lb. sliced gruyere cheese
- 1/2 lb. sliced provolone
- Place tomatoes on a paper towel–lined cutting board and sprinkle of sea salt. Set aside.
- Preheat large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Place bacon in an even layer and cook until crisp, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
- Place bread on another cutting board and spread a thin layer of mayonnaise over each piece. Reduce heat to medium. Place bread in cast iron skillet mayonnaise-side down. Top with layers of gruyere on one half of the bread and provolone on other side. Placed sliced tomatoes and bacon on one side of bread. Cover skillet.
- When cheese has begun to melt, top the tomatoes and bacon with another bread slice, mayonnaise-side up. Flip occasionally until both sides are golden brown. Serve immediately.