- olive oil
- 2 rashers higher-welfare smoked streaky bacon , finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds , bashed
- 1 onion , peeled and sliced
- 2 good eating apples , peeled and chopped into 2.5cm pieces
- 1 red cabbage , outer leaves and core removed, chopped into irregular chunks
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 150 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 small knob butter
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves , chopped
- The classic combo of braised red cabbage and smoky bacon with juicy apple is an absolute winner.
- Pour a good lug of olive oil into a saucepan, get it hot and add the bacon and fennel seeds. Cook until golden then add the onion and continue to cook, with the lid on, for a few more minutes until golden and sticky. Add the apple, followed by the cabbage chunks, salt and pepper and the vinegar, and stir everything together well.
- Put the lid back on and continue to cook on a low heat for an hour, checking and stirring every so often. You will end up with a gorgeously sticky-sweet cabbage dish that you’ll want to eat immediately, straight out of the pan! Or, if you can wait long enough, scoop it into a serving dish, pop the butter on top and sprinkle over the parsley.