Graham Cracker Crust
- 8 large graham cracker planks
- ⅓ c. sugar
- 6 tbsp. melted butter
- ½ c. heavy cream
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 1½ c. sugar
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make Graham Cracker Crust: Crush graham crackers into pieces. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor; add sugar. Process until crackers form a very fine crumb. Add butter, and pulse to combine.
- Pack graham cracker mixture into 8 (2 1/2-inch) mini tart pans; transfer to a baking sheet, and bake 20 minutes or until the edges of the tartlets darken slightly. Let cool.
- To make Chocolate Ganache: Heat cream in a small saucepan over low heat until barely simmering. Remove from heat, add chocolate, and whisk well until very smooth. Spoon into graham crusts.
- To make Meringue Ghosts: Heat 3 inches of water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Place sugar and egg whites in a heat-proof bowl. Place bowl over the water and whisk to combine the sugar and egg whites. Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot to the touch. (Rub a bit between your fingers. If it feels gritty, the sugar has not dissolved.)
- Remove bowl from the stove and beat egg white mixture with the whisk attachment of an electric mixer until shiny stiff peaks form. Transfer meringue to a plastic pastry bag, snip the end to about 1 1/2 inches wide, and pipe 4-inch-tall ghost shapes onto the ganache.
- Use a small paint brush dipped in cocoa to form the eyes and mouth. Serve immediately.