- 375g plain flour
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 0.25 tsp fine salt
- 225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 160g icing sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla essence
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Edible glitter or chopped toasted pecans
1) Whisk the flour, cardamom and salt in a bowl. Put the butter and icing sugar in a food processor, and process until smooth. Pulse in the egg, vanilla and lemon zest until combined. Add the flour mixture and process to make a soft buttery dough.
2) Divide the dough in half onto 2 (30cm long) sheets of cling film. Using the film, shape into rough logs. Refrigerate the dough logs for 30 minutes until just firm enough to shape into uniform logs, 20cm long by 5cm in diameter. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or overnight.
3) Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas mark 2.5. Scatter either the edible glitter or toasted nuts on a work surface and roll the logs until completely coated. Cut into 0.5cm thick biscuits and space about 2.5cms apart on baking paper lined baking trays.
4) Bake the biscuits until golden around the edges, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on the trays on wire racks.
5) Store the biscuits in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.