4 large baking potatoes scrubbed
One large onion finely chopped
8 rashers streaky bacon diced
30g butter 100g grated cheddar cheese
½ tbsp rapeseed oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C.
2. Scrub the potatoes and prick all over with a fork.
3. Transfer the potatoes to an oven and bake for 1 – 1½ hours until the potato flesh is tender.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion. On softening add the bacon and continue to cook until the bacon begins to crisp.
5. Cut the potatoes in half. Carefully using a spoon scoop out the potato into a bowl, taking care not to break the skin.
6. Add the butter and mash the potato flesh until there are no lumps. Add 75g of the cheese, the bacon and the onion. Mix well.
7. Using a spoon carefully scoop the mixture back into the potato skins.
8. Top with the remaining grated cheese.
9. Place on a baking tray and return to 180˚C oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes until piping hot. Serve with home made coleslaw and lettuce.