FOR THE CAKE
450g self-raising flour
1½ tsp baking powder
270g butter, room temperature
450g granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
135ml pink Prosecco
180g sour cream
Wilton® Red Food Colouring
FOR THE ICING
350g Lakeland Prosecco Flavour Frosting
750g Renshaw Celebration Colour Icing
340g Wilton® Bright White Candy Melts®
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Selection of edible pearls in various gold tones
100g Classic Prosecco Gummies
Metallic Light Gold Edible Silk Powder
Gold Edible Glitter Dust Pump
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/Gas 3. Line two 8” sandwich tins with baking parchment.
- Combine the flour with the baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition, and then add the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, stir the Prosecco into the sour cream. Gradually add the flour and Prosecco mixtures to the creamed butter, alternating between the two and stirring until just combined. Add 2-3 drops of colouring and mix well.
- Divide the mixture equally between the lined tins and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until well risen and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Attach the centre rod of the cake kit to the base plate.
- Sandwich the cooled cakes together using most of the Prosecco frosting, lower them down onto the rod then use the remaining frosting to spread a thin layer over the whole cake.
- Roll out the icing and place over the cake and base plate. Smooth out and trim off any excess.
- Connect the second rod to the centre rod and top off with the corner piece.
- Melt the Candy Melts according to the pack instructions and stir in the vegetable oil. Thickly coat the rods with the melted Candy Melts then build up the pearl cascade from the bottom upwards, working quickly and using the melted mixture to hold the pearls in place.
- To create the drips around the cake, trickle teaspoonfuls of the melted Candy Melts down the sides, adding pearls to each drip before the mixture sets.
- Cover the top of the cake with the remaining Candy Melts mixture and scatter pearls all over the surface.
- Arrange Gummies on top of the pearls and around the base of the cake, applying a little of either the edible silk powder or edible glitter to each one as you work.
- To finish, place a small bottle on top of the rod and attach ribbon around the base plate.
- Tip: To make your own edible pearls, mix some edible silk powder or edible glitter into a little of the icing and roll into small balls, taking care not to over-handle the icing.