For the cake
150g butter, softened
150g caster sugar
150g self-raising flour
150g ground almonds
2 large eggs
1tsp almond extract
3 tablespoons black cherry jam
200g fresh cherries, pitted and halved and soaked in a splash of amaretto
100g flaked almonds
For the icing
100g icing sugar
Juice ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Base line a 23 cm (8½-9½in) spring clip cake tin with baking parchment.
- Using a food processor or an electric whisk; beat the butter, sugar, flour, ground almonds, eggs and almond extract together.
- Spoon half of the batter into the lined cake tin and smooth it over.
- Dot the jam, half a teaspoon at a time all over the batter and scatter with the fresh cherries.
- With the remainder of the cake mix, drop some over the fruit to cover it, if it’s a bit messy – don’t worry as the batter will spread as it cooks.
- Scatter the flaked almonds over and bake for 45-50 minutes until well-risen and golden brown. Leave to stand for 5 minutes in the tin then remove by running a knife around, unclip and slide the cake onto a wire rack.
For the icing: Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl. Add the lemon juice, and then stir until smooth and thick. Drizzle over the cooked cake and stand for 30 minutes before serving.