80g unsalted butter
250g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence with seeds
2 large eggs
40g cocoa powder
200g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
240ml whole milk
Decoration and filling:
Tinned Cherries (stoned), keep some whole and slicesome in half.
500ml double cream
40g icing sugar
½ jar cherry jam
100g dark chocolate, grated
You will need 8inch sandwich tin or 6 inch tin for 3 tiered cake.
Pre-heated oven at 180c
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together until pale and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs separately and gradually incorporate into the creamed butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the sieved cocoa, flour, baking powder and milk and combine together well
- Pour into the prepared cake tins and bake in the pre-heated oven at 180c for 18-20 minutes until risen.
- Cover the drained tinned cherries in kirsch and put to one side.
- Whip the cream with the icing sugar until really stiff peaks and put into a piping bag and chill until needed.
- Pipe the cream onto one of the cakes and dollop over the cherry jam, cherries and sprinkle with plenty of grated chocolate. Sandwich the other cake on top. Pipe the remaining cream on top and dollop over a little more jam, cherries and sprinkle over the grated chocolate.